Sunday, November 1, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Artist Blog: Sofia Coppola

Sofia Coppola is best known as the daughter of Francis Ford Coppola and as a director, but she is also an actress, producer and screenwriter as well. She is the only American woman, and the third female director to be nominated for an Academy Award for Directing.

Coppola has won some awards, including an Academy Award for best original screenplay for her film Lost in Translation. She's won three Golden Globe Awards, including one for Best Picture. I've seen 3 of her films, which are her most popular - The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation, and Marie Antoinette.

film still from Marie Antoinette

I really admire Sofia Coppola. Not only is she a successful woman in the arts, but she has created some really beautiful feature films, using her exposure to the language of cinema to her full advantage. I thought she would be a great artist to choose this week because I'm trying to concentrate on the elements of film and what makes them slick with a flawless production. You can tell from these stills that she has a keen eye for detail and mood setting with the lighting she uses. I need to start experimenting to get to that point.


film still from The Virgin Suicides

Just for more information about Sofia Coppola which I find interesting: her screenplay for her Oscar-winning film Lost in Translation was somewhat autobiographical. I am looking to get this sort of input into my work as well. Something that relates to a wider audience instead of exclusively understood - but still taking instances of my life and experience.
I love this film, and Coppola definitely created a mesmerizing contemplation on the feeling of alienation that I think many people can relate to.

film still from Lost in Translation

Sofia Coppola has found her own direction in her films, and her critics have called her both mainstream and independent, and i think that in itself is an accomplishment. She's accessible in both categories and therefore appreciated as a successful director. I hope to work up to a status like that, however unrealistic is may be. I really enjoy this artist and look forward to her new film coming out soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofia_Coppola
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001068/
http://www.tribute.ca/people/Sofia+Coppola/5248

1 comment: