Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: Narratives

My meeting with Tom went so well on Tuesday! I feel confident that I'm heading in the right direction.

While I tried to take a film production approach in the beginning, I kind of realize that my work is much like what I did last year. The whimsical narrative of an escape of every day is something I can't stop creating and these next few pieces I have for my portfolio will be a little more fantastical than the last two successful ones.

Here's what I brought to show Tom:

Rebecca Arnold, Flight, 2009, 12 x 16
(I'll probably be tweaking it)

Tom noted that this progression is a good thing - that what I'm inspired by doesn't have to stop me dead in my tracks when I want to recreate it. I had a lull where I wasn't producing any work and it's because I spent too much time thinking about how I could make a relationship between cinema and my work. I realize now that certain elements I take from Cinema is all I need to be concentrating on, instead of forcing a composition that one might find in a film still.

That being said, I'm focusing more on the narratives that my photographs recount. A lot of the work I've produced this semester have me at the point before Escape. I am still enclosed in a space with a portal or some sort of escape in view...I want to play more with this with my final pieces, because it speaks as a longing for "other" but not actually being able to break the threshold. (yet?)

From now until the critique, I will be focusing on narratives, scale and spatial awareness to make my work successful and accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment