Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Artist Blog: Rodney Smith

“A really great photograph, one you return to over and over, is one that isn’t answering any questions.” - Rodney Smith

Rodney Smith, Don Jumping over Hay Roll #1, 1999, size unknown

Rodney Smith was born in 1947 and moved to Germany with his family when he as young. After visiting the MoMA to see the permanent collection (including Minor White, Dorthea Lange and Gene Smith), he discovered then and there his love of photography. He also studied under Walker Evans while attending Yale University (after graduating from UVA!).


Rodney Smith, A.J. on Ladder, Harriman Estate, 1994, size unknown

I've been a huge fan of Rodney Smith's work since my teacher in high school pointed him out to me. His work is accessible not only to the Fashion Photography world, but also to the Conceptual Photography world. While his images all provide a sense of glamour and keen tasteful fashion sense, there is always something peculiar or unexpected happening. I'm obviously obsessed with this sort of work and I'm surprised I haven't written on Rodney Smith before now.

Rodney Smith, Alan Leaping from 515 Madison Ave, 1999, size unknown

I really wanted to use these (second two) images because they're relative to what I'm working with right now. Both models are carefully set to escape, explore, jump, anything! It is the point before breaking that threshold - that same moment I am attempting to capture in my work. I'm very excited to come back to these photographs now, after having done similar work.

Smith’s mainly black and white photography is mostly editorial and fashion related. His work often holds more than just aesthetics. Using self created scenes, Smith produces a different world in which his subjects explore.

http://www.rodneysmith.com/
http://www.artnet.com/artist/3277980/rodney-smith.html

No comments:

Post a Comment