Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: Make It Work

A brilliant Tim Gunn likes to say, "Make it work" to aspiring fashion designers. I think that I can borrow that phrase for my aspiring photographic success.

Well I watched Dial M for Murder, an amazing film by Hitchcock, and took 10 stills that I "liked" the most. While Tom suggested I think about the stills in a way that they are abstracted from the story, I couldn't help but pick them because they DID represent a clear story line. It's habit, I guess.

These past few days, I've gotten a pretty clear understanding of the next steps I will be taking. I'll be shooting this weekend with clear, planned out directions (so I'm not distracted or defeated). I want to create a movie setting - ascetically sound with a too-perfect mise-en-scene. In this setting will be a model doing a very ordinary every day tedious activity (ex. clipping toenails) in the most glorious beautiful fashion. We don't see these moments in films - especially the films I'm interested from the 1930's to 1960. They're proper and beautiful, and the characters never have to use the restroom or have an awkward conversation with the crazy lady at the supermarket.

I have some pretty good ideas for these images, but I'll be talking it over with Jeff tomorrow. Hopefully this twist of my concept is approved.

I'll post the Dial M for Murder stills later!

No comments:

Post a Comment