Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Artist Blog: Tim Burton

This week, my artist blog will be on Tim Burton - director of such great films like: Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.

Described as "a director of fables, fairy tales, and fantasies, with an aesthetic that incorporates the Gothic...", Tim Burton has created a body of fourteen feature films over two and a half decades, and continues to do so with his upcoming interpretation of Alice in Wonderland.

Alice in Wonderland (pre-release)

When researching Burton, I stumbled across the word auteurist - which I had never heard before. The dictionary reads that it is "a filmmaker whose movies are characterized by a filmmaker's creative influence," which I couldn't pin on a better director. His vision is uncompromised with his German Expressionism influence and striking visuals. Even Burton's insisting, nearly haunting characters make even his feature blockbuster films intimate and distinctive.

Sleepy Hollow

Not only are Tim Burton's films unique, but they also cover a wide range of methods. He's done stop-motion animation, musicals, and adaptations - of which they all contain his invented characters, personalities and childhood icons. Burton is also known for his collaboration with actors Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp, along with Danny Elfman (composer), a production designer Rick Heinrich and costume designer Colleen Atwood. They are always by his side working on his next film. Its this consistency that enhances Burton's vision in his films.

Big Fish

The photos that I chose for this post were deliberate. These stills spoke the most to me in terms of Tim Burton's vision and my own vision. I have done many fantastical photographs so far in my studies, and Burton is a huge influence. While my visual ideas are different for my portfolio this year, the conceptual ideas of Burton still inspire me. I can't wait for Alice in Wonderland to come out!

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000318/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment