Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: New Things

Hello, blog. Meeting with Tom went well. I've needed advice and a good nudge to get my ideas back.

So as my concept continues to grow, it's becoming less complicated. I expressed how unhappy I've been with my current problem of not being able to put my words into photos. My concept, if you recall, is Escapism through the narratives of films (specifically written or made between 1900-1960, due to their heightened mise-en-scene and the nearly exaggerated acting which we all love). Tom asked me many questions about myself, to which I blanked. What I did say, however, prompted him to say "didn't you just write a character?" We determined that I'm constantly looking for New or Other in my life. You can take that however you want, but I think that's pretty accurate.

Tom also advised that my voice needs to surface in my work, and to ask "what do I like?" I need to establish a clear direction in order to make powerful images, so I'll be doing some more research. I offered the suggestion of writing my own stories again, but he made a great point that this could be a tie to contemporary. To find a problem of Today or even historical stories (which I guess isn't technically contemporary, but it's accessible).

I also have a little activity to do before my next meeting: Take 10 stills from Hitchock's Dial M for Murder. I've never seen this film, but Tom believes it was filmed all pretty much in the same room. I am to write a paragraph about why I chose those stills and what they say beyond the storyline. I am to analyze not for what the story is, but how the still is abstracted from the story.

I'll also be looking through the Academy Awards history, specifically for best screenplay. I will research why these stories were so engaging and go from there.

So, that's it. Lots to think about, lots to research to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment