Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: Narrowing

Narrowing my main focus every day has been surprisingly easy, considering I tend to over-complicate my ideas.

As far as research - that's been fairly easy too. As I was listening to my ipod, a song came on by (one of my favorite bands) Stars called "Life 2: The Unhappy Ending." I had heard this song before, but it had been a while. It starts out as a script for a film would read: "Scene one..." with the film lingo continuing throughout the song as they sing about a potential film plot. In the chorus, the singer laments "life was supposed to be a film, was supposed to be a thriller, was supposed to end in tears. But life, could be nothing but a joke..."

Overall, the song expresses the way I feel. The content I need to deliver my next pieces is basically falling into my lap.

I've also been "forcing" myself to watch several of my favorite films that were all stories first: The Wizard of Oz (written 1900, filmed 1939), Benjamin Button (written 1921, filmed 2008), It's a Wonderful Life (written 1943, filmed 1946) and Big Fish (written 1998, filmed 2003). And with this I have found a striking similarity in all of them - they were all either written, filmed or the film was based in a time before 1960.

The Old Hollywood Glamour obviously appeals to me, so I have narrowed my idea down to include, maybe solely that Old, Classic Hollywood concept. Because unlike some films today (ex: Dude Where's My Car, Hostel 1 & 2), these movies I'm using were made not for the money, but for the story - the escape. These were filmmakers passionate in their craft; before anyone could just pick up a camera and roll.

The elements in these films, specifically Mise-en-scene is strong and evident and nearly exaggerated. This is what I am aiming for now. Old Hollywood represented with exaggerated story telling and distinct imagery.

I have my meeting with Jeff today, so I'll be posting again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment