Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Meeting Blog: 1st Meeting, with Tom

For this year, my main focus will be based around storytelling and the allure and glamour infused in it.

I have attempted documentary yet speculative and dream-like imagery in my previous work, which all stems from my unrealistic expectations of everyday life. I find I get these expectations mainly from watching movies and reading books. My captivated mind loves the scenery - the perfection of the set when yet, there's something peculiar going on. Something exciting!

While I've done many whimsical fairy-tale like images before, themselves presenting a situation of wonderment and surprise, I am ready to push my ideas further and create images that are a little more realistic, with a more subtle story or edge behind the image. The beauty of films and stories enliven me and I want that same feeling when I create my own series of images.

In order to create fresher imagery, I have started researching folklore and short stories. While I'm not taking from any short stories or tales directly, it's a good place to begin. I've learned the basic structure of a story and how to begin and with that knowledge, I will start writing my own stories and transferring them into visual pieces.

The sets that I build for my images will be staged (in a studio or on location) so that a story is told in a still frame, similar to Gregory Crewdson and Cindy Sherman. Film-like aspects are an important part in my ideas and I look forward to starting this new series.

No comments:

Post a Comment