Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: Falling Apart

I’m getting concerned. My research and concept are both there, but my inspiration has just completely run dry.

I worked on a shoot yesterday, and I wasn’t terribly happy with it. I feel like I’m overcomplicating everything, as usual, with all of the elements I want to put into my photographs. And yet, my shoot came out too simple for my taste, too easy, so I’m reshooting this weekend. Yikes.

I’m also worried about the whole element of comedy. My work has always been quirky, but now I just feel like I’m pulling ideas out of my ass (pardon my French), and nobody wants to look at forced art, especially forced humor. Amber gave me an interesting idea to use modern elements or technologies of today and incorporate them into my Old Hollywood look. I shied away from this idea in the beginning when Jeff told me to try to relate to contemporary, but now it doesn’t sound so blatant and crazy as I first thought of it.

So hey, there’s that at least. I will be incorporating newer modern elements to my story-telling film-scene old-Hollywood photographs. What a mouth-full.

Research was bleak this week, but I’ve been looking at these books on Fashion in Film and they’ve really helped my direction in that area. Jeff liked the book and offered I should look into how fashion and makeup have affected film and affected today because of how it was used in films. There have been a lot of internet searches, but not terribly good information. It’s at least something to think about when applying these elements.

That’s it for now…stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment