Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Research Blog: Recapping

This blog post tonight will be about my concept and the revisions I'd like to make to it for Spring! Time to narrow.

My concept started out more about film narratives and, how through the artifice in the perfectionist production quality that films produce, viewers are led to escape the reality of every day. After lots of stressful over-analyzation, I came to just take Escapism for what it is in a general sense. Escapism through pretend narratives provides a release from reality and a means of creativity.

The direction I'm going in this semester is not unlike what I did in my Studio classes. I want to get back to using my hand skills to build my own spaces. I've always hated overusing Photoshop and I'm ready again to make my sets physically instead of piecing things together. I'm not opposed to doing a little of both, though. I'm going to start researching artists whose hand (as in craftwork) you can see in their pieces. I love making my own productions, and allowing the viewer to see the artifice of the scene - as it is about pretending and make believe.

I have experimented a little with alternative lighting, as you can see in this (rough) piece below. I'm hoping that by using these methods I can create a celestial, dream-like space.

The Water, Rebecca Arnold, 2010.

So now that I know the general direction I want to go, the next step is to spend some time brainstorming and writing pieces of narratives or scenes so I can get started designing. Then I'll be able to sketch out the base elements of the sets I will create.

I'm going to be researching some of my favorite escapism-themed narratives, like Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, Utopia and Pan's Labyrinth. Exciting! I think I'll start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment