Thursday, March 4, 2010

Research Blog: Mid Critique!

I had my mid-critique! It was incredibly uplifting and successful and I feel as though our class has really reached out for each other this semester and we're genuinely interested in each other's endeavors.

These were the two images I shared:

Enlightenment, Rebecca Arnold, 2010.

Voyage, Rebecca Arnold, 2010.

I received very constructive and supportive feedback from the class. A lot of comments were reassuring, about how I've really gone 'all out' (in a positive way) this semester and that my execution of childlike/dreamlike visions constructed in a mature way is successful. This is really uplifting! I'm so glad I'm finally heading in the right direction.

There were some disagreements over suggestions, like one over adding another layer in the photo "Voyage", so that you can't see the closet door in the background and so that I was completely entrapped by this fantasy world. The rebuttal was that presenting both the real world (what I'm escaping from) and the illusion (where I'm escaping) meeting so close together is successful. Another debatable item was the "boat" chair in that same photo. One classmate thought it was distracting, as it was recognizable and it's already obvious I'm in a domestic setting, but others argued that that's what makes it accessible.

I'm extremely happy with how this semester has gone so far in terms of production and progression. I can't wait to continue making these sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment