Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rebecca Arnold, Research Blog: Closing ideas

Well, this is it. My last blog posting of the semester. I guess I'll talk about my very last picture to shoot for my final portfolio that I will be doing this weekend.

I actually had a dream about this photo idea a month or so ago. It was vivid, and in the dream I knew exactly where I was: Oz! Yes, I had a Wizard of Oz dream. I remember watching Judy Garland walking down the yellow brick road, prior to meeting the scarecrow, and stopping at the edge of the backdrop. One of my favorite things about this film is the backdrop - it is so obviously very much a backdrop...but it doesn't matter. It's of no concern to the viewers, and that makes it successful. Anyway, she walked up to the backdrop, confused and reached out to touch it. It wasn't Judy Garland, it was actually Dorothy the character. She looked around, not knowing what to do because this beautiful landscape she once wanted to cross just turned into a still image she couldn't break through.

I love this concept. I'm going to photograph one (or several, depending) of my father's paintings. He has done quite a lot of landscapes in his lifetime, and I want to photograph one as if it were a backdrop. After taking another photo separately of myself, in costume, I will work in photoshop to connect the two images. I hate using so much photoshop, I try only to use it for color and lighting correction. But this is appropriate. I'll spend a lot of time on this image, and I can't wait to get started.

As I wind down to the final image and the final blog, I am feeling like I came out of this semester somewhat successful because I've figured out what I really want in my pictures. I am moving past my complicated ideas and I'm sticking to what I know. Thank you, blog, for being there to hold all of ideas. And thank you Tom, for having the patience to read my blog.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment